Friday, March 14, 2014

I Like Chaos

First week of training is done and the most important I have learned is that I run toward the chaotic. 
Difficult and demanding situations do not scare; in fact, they excite me.  All week I have learned about the challenges of chaplaincy ministry (which are a lot like church planting in NYC), and I am more excited than ever to be involved.  The problem, however, is that while I embrace challenge, doing so does not make me immune from its negative effects, such as estrangement, stress, and exhaustion.  It's a bit ironic, until you consider the source of my calling.
 
The Spirit calls each of us to a different ministry and environment, and each has its unique rewards and challenges.  But in every calling there is often a foundational aspect of that call that simply cannot be done by the natural characteristics or abilities of the individual.  Of course, it is the Spirit who overcomes these obstacles, but He often does so through manners that exhaust us in the process.
  
I know that this is not popular theology, but it's true!  Consider 2 Corinthians 4:7-12.  Paul writes that his life of ministry (and that of all believers) is one of consistent challenge for the glory of God.  None of us can escape this truth since it is at the heart of God's means for demonstrating His glory in us and unto the world.
  
So here is the deal: don't run from the challenges God sets before you, and don't be surprised when the task takes a toll on you mentally, physically or otherwise.  When we are weak, He is strong.  When we are brought low, He is shown exalted.  Embrace the chaos.