Monday, March 10, 2014

Approved for Battle

2 Tim 2:15 -  Do your best to present yourself to God as one (tested and) approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed…

I’ll probably get flack for posting this, but after 8 years of ministry, primarily to young adults, combined with these past four in seminary, has given me plenty of opportunity to observe a large number of people.  The sad truth is that most people do not want to ‘work.’  Sure, they want a position, a paycheck, or an opportunity, but they don’t want to be tested, criticized, or held accountable; which is what ‘work’ is.

I leave today for yet another multi-week military chaplaincy training mandate.  Like so many others, I am very eager for the opportunity and adventure.  It is fun and exciting to do something new, work in a unique environment and wear camouflage.  However, this is only a very small reason for my enthusiasm.  The real source of my eagerness is the opportunity to learn, fail, and learn some more after failing.  I know I am a good and qualified minister, and I know my level of physical readiness is above those much younger than me; but I also know that I am not perfect, and that true effectiveness depends on near perfection.  I want to be yelled at, attempt new and outrageous tasks, and do it all under intense pressure now, so that I will be that much better tomorrow.  Perfection does not come instantly and it certainly does not come easily.  I am greatly distressed by the number of people who bristle at ‘red tape,’ extensive pre-requisites, or criticism.  Only after the blade is thoroughly grinded with the stone does it become an effective instrument of war.