Thursday, April 17, 2014

So Much that I Don't Want to Passover

I was able to present "Jesus in the Passover" to a local Christian School this week.  The teacher did a wonderful job prepping the kids for the meal and its symbolism, and I knew going in that I would only have 1-hr to perform the meal and message.  Those of you who know, know that 1-hr is really rushing when it comes to a Seder meal...especially when trying to demonstrate both the Jewish and Christian elements/interpretations.   Therefore, I intentionally spent a lot of time planning exactly what I was going to say and emphasize.  Even then, I still found myself feeling like I was 'short changing' the kids and message - Passover is just that rich in meaning!

In the end, I wanted the kids to know who the Jewish people are, what the real meaning of Passover is, and why this historic event is meaningful to both Jews and Gentiles.  In these three aspects we come to terms with humanity's hopelessness without God, the consequences of human sin, and the great and merciful God who freely offers salvation to all through faith.